Thursday, October 4, 2012

"THAT is a Wine bar....I will buy you 1 drink."

Setting: Tokyo, Japanland. Chuesok 2012 (Korean thanksgiving for the laymen.)

Scene: Ina and myself have just decided that clubbing was never going to occur during our time in the magical and wonderful place that is Japan. After this conclusion has been reached, Ina and myself decide to go and have something fruity to drown our sorrows over our last evening of vacation. We are dolled up (as far as I can be "dolled" up).

Ina and myself are walking around Jimbocho. It is approximately 11:00pm. We notice a Wine bar nearby and stare at it for a moment. Both of us are scared to go in. Something about being a foreign country...We look at it indecisively.

Ina: Should we go in?
Me: ummm..... I don't know.... (leaning closer to said establishment even though I am still across the street)

This is when an old Japanese gentleman ambles towards us. He is dressed in a white collared shirt and black pants. He has a pooh bear tummy and a chubby wrinkly face, framed with Ms. Potts glasses (who is Ms. potts you ask? I don't know myself) For convenience sake and my own amusement I have named him below.

Pooh Bear Potts(Japanese gentleman): "Excuse me?"
Ina and myself look up.
Pooh Bear Potts (tapping his chest): "I am an old drunken Japanese man."
Ina and myself: we assess PBP. He is indeed Asian, and if his placement is an indicator, he may well be Japanese. but our results are inconclusive.
Pooh Bear Potts (gesturing broadly): "That is a WINE bar."
Ina and myself, stare at the wine bar and back at Pooh bear Potts. We conclude that Pooh Bear Potts is correct and that is in fact a Wine bar slash eatery.
Pooh Bear Potts(sticking a pudgy finger in the air): "I will buy you 1 drink!"
Hmmm.. one drink, one drink. I think this over.
Me ( shakes head): "No thank you."
I grab Ina's elbow and begin walking. Pooh Bear Potts rocks along beside us.
Pooh Bear Potts (peering from behind his glasses): Where are you from?
Ina (surrendering to the inevitable question): "America."
Pooh Bear Potts (rolling his head from side to side): "I don't know. I don't know."
Ina: "Oh....umm....U.S. A."
Pooh Bear Pots (light bulb): "Oh yes."
Pooh Bear Pots tries once more to get us to go to a bar with him, to which we refuse. He must guess our answer because he is already floating away from us. But still he finds the need to whirl around with one last question.
Pooh Bear Pots: "Why not? I am too handsome?"

Yes. Mr. PBP. you guessed it. You are indeed too handsome.

No comments:

Post a Comment