Monday, June 4, 2012

Green tea Frappes and despicable conversations.

Mountain hands. A term most of you probably don't run across normally. In my past year in K-town, this phrase has become synonymous with a green tea Frappe and a conversation that ends and begins with laughter.    I'm going to start sharing a stories " because I have neglected to fully tell you what I have been doing with myself. This last year it was my privilege to spend way to much money in coffee shops and swap daily events with one Sarah Hanka. 

Story # 1:
Mountainy mountainy hands. 

Early last year, Sarah and myself entered 1. Angel-in-us coffee (which Koreans pronounce 'anngell-in-us") to order a green tea frappe. I ordered my frappe from a man who done a mountain shape with his hands to convey "whipped cream" He was probably about twelve years old with orange hair and glasses. Every interaction preceding involved  a debate of whether he was the original motion-er or not.

On the second visit I decided to "be friendly," to which a must wiser Sarah advised against. "Mountain hands" was very pleased to see us and performed normal tomfoolarie, bouncing up and down and giggling with every English word spoken.
"Hello"-me
Giggle, giggle "Hello"
I ordered and man bounced about to his business. At some time during the night after being obnoxious with laughter Sarah and myself went to leave. In korea, there are "strict rules" about recycling. I put that in quotes because no one seems to take them seriously enough to place bins in convenient places or at all, So trash piles form. So I went to carry out my expat duty and sorted my garbage.  
During my haste to leave, I hit Mountain hands very hard. He is a small compact little man and nearly toppled backwards. I suppose he had been bobbing around behind me, waiting to help.(bobbed? How dare I compare him to a fishing line) So I did what any other Westerner might. (is that racist?)
I grabbed him to protect his little body from a fall. And he turned 5 shades of red, removed himself from my arms. He backed up as far as space would allow. Then bowed as deeply as possible. I do not know what to do with this. I did not know. 
And Sarah said, "Faith. what did you do? He done a bow."






No comments:

Post a Comment